August 4, 2012

Street Performers.

Ever seen people showing their talents on the streets of major cities like New York, Las Vegas, or Boston? Well, I don't know why, but I find them highly amusing. They just bring up their equipment to a random spot on a sidewalk and just dance around, sing, play guitar, or something random. You never know what you might see.

This week, I traveled to Boston, Massachusetts and saw several street performers there. My favorite, however, was a group of "black people" dancing. They had a large crowd of people surrounding them in a square. Also, they were very funny as they tried to handle business. Don't understand what I mean? By handling business, they told people to move closer to them to leave enough space for people to walk by behind them but also were funny as they said, "nothing to fear, it's just black people dancing. We don't have our weapons on us today, we're off duty." Very stereotypical towards themselves and others, but everyone found it hilarious.

I grabbed my camera and began to record a bit of what they were doing. Here is a clip of one of them dancing and doing their thing:



At the end of their performance, they grabbed 3 random people and lined them up. They told them that one of them were going to jump over them. Then, more stereotypes come in and they say, "this isn't fun until we have an asian guy come here!" So, they found an unsuspecting asian man who looked to be in his 50s and pulled him in. It was hilarious. The performer jumped over all four of the people, no problem, adding a flip as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get a clip of this part... but it was pretty amazing!

These guys are the perfect example of everything I love about street performers.

My question for the week is...

Have you seen street performers before, and if so, what did you think?

1 comment:

  1. Just saw them today near the New England Aquarium. They were awesome! My 3 year old daughter wanted to watch their show over and over again. Do they have a group name?

    ReplyDelete